HAITI: THE ROLE OF THE PRIVATE SECTOR
THE WILLSON HOUSE PROCESS
Starting in September 2005, FOCAL and the Inter-American Dialogue convened a series of groundbreaking meetings between leaders of the Haitian private sector and international donors at Willson House on Meech Lake near Canada’s capital city, in Atlanta and in Port-au-Prince. These meetings were a unique attempt to harness some of the ideas and energy of the one sector in Haiti with the resources, skills and capacity to reduce poverty from within and to help build capacity for development in Haiti through formalization, modernization, privatization and decentralization in a variety of sectors.
In May 2011, leaders of the principal private enterprises and private sector associations of Haiti and international donors convened in Washington, D.C. for a roundtable meeting on the role of the Haitian private sector in the development of Haiti. The key ideas that emerged from the discussions are detailed in the report, Agenda for an États généraux in Haiti: Third Roundtable of the Willson House Process.
MORE ON THIS PROJECT
The Dialogue’s Caribbean Region Program focuses on Cuba, Haiti, and the Anglophone Caribbean.
The Dialogue’s work on Cuba aims to establish connections between Cuba’s economic community and international financial institutions. The Working Group on the Cuban Economy regularly brings together some 25 experts from the region to discuss Cuba’s prospects for increased integration with the IFIs. The Dialogue project on Cuba and the Organization of American States facilitated a thorough review of US policy towards Cuba under the Obama administration and Latin America’s stance toward Cuba during the same period.
The Dialogue has long sustained an active program on Haiti including publications and discussions on political and economic developments and US policy. Our recent work on Haiti has focused on engaging with the private sector.
The Caribbean Program also offers a forum for leaders from the Anglophone Caribbean to bring important policy attention to the issues of concern to that region.
Michael Shifter, President
Peter Hakim, President Emeritus
Joan Caivano, Deputy to the President
Paul Shortell, Program Assistant
For more information, contact Paul Shortell at firstname.lastname@example.org or (202) 463-2933.
ARTICLES & OP-EDS | PUBLICATIONS | EVENTS | INTERVIEWS
CONGRESSIONAL TESTIMONY | IN THE PRESS | PARTNERS & SPONSORS
ARTICLES & OP-EDS
- Christian and LGBT Groups Have Brought the Battle for Gay Rights to the Caribbean, By Javier Corrales & Cameron Combs, The Atlantic, June 27, 2013.
- What Will a New Generation of Leadership Mean for Cuba? By Peter Hakim, Stephen Wilkinson, Kirby Jones, Latin America Advisor, March 6, 2013.
- A Special Report from Progreso Weekly on Cardinal Ortega, by Aurelio Alonso, Oscar Espinosa Chepe, Carmelo Mesa Lago, Arturo López-Levy, Peter Hakim, Julia Sweig, Progreso Weekly, June 4, 2012.
- Economic vs. Political Change in Cuba, by Jorge Domínguez, The New York Times, March 28, 2012.
- Dilma in Cuba, by Peter Hakim, O Estado de S. Paulo, February, 18, 2012.
- Lecciones de la visita de Dilma a Cuba, by Peter Hakim, Infolatam, February 8, 2012.
- Does Brazil's Rousseff Care Enough About Cuban Democracy?, by Peter Hakim, Lino Gutierrez, Margaret Daly Hayes, Daniel Hellinger, Latin America Advisor, February 8, 2012.
MORE PROGRAM ARTICLES & OP-EDS
- A Scorecard in the Market for Money Transfers: Trends in Competition in Latin America and the Caribbean, by Manuel Orozco, Elisabeth Burgess, and Landen Romei, June 18, 2010 (Spanish).
- Skilled Diasporas: an imagined or real community?, by Manuel Orozco and Mariellen Jewers, April 30, 2010.
- L’Éducation en Haïti: La Voie du Progrès, by Laurence Wolff, PREAL, May 1, 2009 (English).
- La República Dominicana: Una democracia para vivir mejor, by Pedro Wilfredo Lozano, May 1, 2009.
- The Cuba Wars: Fidel Castro, the United States and the Next Revolution, by Daniel P. Erikson, Bloomsbury, 2008.
- Transforming Socialist Economies: Lessons for Cuba and Beyond, ed. Shahid Javed Burki and Daniel P. Erikson, Palgrave Macmillan, 2005.
MORE PROGRAM PUBLICATIONS
- "Subcommittee Hearing: Regional Security Cooperation: An Examination of the Central American Regional Security Initiative (CARSI) and the Caribbean Basin Security Initiative (CBSI)," by Michael Shifter, Testimony before the House Subcommittee on the Western Hemisphere, June 19, 2013.
- With Castro Stepping Down, What’s Next for Cuba and the Western Hemisphere, by Marifeli Pérez-Stable, Testimony before the House Committee on Foreign Affairs’ Subcommittee on the Western Hemisphere, March 5, 2008.
- Toward the Mainstream: Remittances and Development in Latin America and the Caribbean, by Manuel Orozco, Testimony before the House Committee on Foreign Affairs’ Subcommittee on the Western Hemisphere, October 2, 2007.
MORE PROGRAM CONGRESSIONAL TESTIMONIES
- Haiti, Looking Ahead, Mariano Fernández, March 9, 2012.
- Cuba: The Politics of Transition, Rafael Hernández, November 22, 2011.
- The Cuban Diaspora in the 21st Century, Jorge Dominguez, Guillermo Grenier, Orlando Marquez, Uva de Aragón, Jorge Duany, Antonio Blanco, October 7, 2011.
- Cuba 1.5? The State of the Internet and Uses of Social Media in a Changing Cuba, August 3, 2011.
- Will Economic Change Threaten Cuba's Education Success?, May 9, 2011.
- Linking Economic Reforms and Micro-Rntrepreneurship Among Remittances Recipients in Cuba, May 2, 2011.
- The United States and Cuba: Intimate Enemies, March 17, 2011.
- The State of the Cuban Economy, March 11, 2011.
- A Discussion on the Cuban Economy, December 14, 2011.
MORE PROGRAM EVENTS
- Experto analiza situación en el Canal de Panamá, Interview with Michael Shifter in Voz de América, July 18, 2013.
- Peter Hakim: "EE.UU. ha hecho gestos, pero no un cambio en el énfasis a la región," Interview with Peter Hakim, La Tercera, June 1, 2013.
- Elecciones en EEUU: No vienen cambios para AL, Michael Shifter in Confidencial, November 1, 2012.
- En Cuba la Iglesia puede ser un actor en cualquier cambio, Interview with Michael Shifter, La Prensa Gráfica, January 8, 2012.
- Los cambios en Cuba se están dando lentamente, Interview with Michael Shifter, El Deber, April 24, 2011.
- Menos restricciones a Cuba, Interview with Michael Shifter, CNN en Español, January 17, 2011.
- Haitian Money Trail, Interview with Daniel Erikson, CNN en Español, February 11, 2010.
- Cuba: Past, Present, and Future, Interview with Daniel Erikson, National Public Radio, January 12, 1009.
MORE PROGRAM INTERVIEWS
IN THE PRESS
- Darán trato de extranjeros a hijos de inmigrantes en República Dominicana, Latin America Advisor in Excelsior, October 28, 2013.
- Moneda única en Cuba: un desafío "lento y complicado" para el régimen castrista, Peter Hakim in Info BAE, October 24, 2013.
- La gran apuesta de Raúl Castro, Michael Shifter in La Nueva Provincia, October 24, 2013.
- El gobierno cubano asume peligrosos riesgos, Micahel Shifter in El Nuevo Herald, October 24, 2013.
- Unificación monetaria en Cuba: la mayor apuesta de Raúl Castro, Peter Hakim in Tico Times, October 23, 2013.
- Cuba's Raúl Castro takes a big chance on currency reform, Michael Shifter in Tico Times, October 23, 2013.
- Cuba's Raul Castro takes big chance on currency reform, Michael Shifter in France 24, October 23, 2013.
- Para analistas, Raúl Castro faz aposta arriscada ao unificar moedas cubanas, Michael Shifter in Globo, October 23, 2013.
- U.S. hosts Cuba migration talks, Michael Shifter in CNN, July 18, 2013.
- Crimen organizado afecta el crecimiento en Centroamérica, the Dialogue in Teletica, October 23, 2013.
- Crimen organizado afecta el crecimiento en Centroamérica (SICA), the Dialogue in Terra, October 23, 2013.
- North Korean Ship Puts U.S.-Cuban Relations On Ice, Experts Say, Peter Hakim in Fox News Latino, July 18, 2013.
- EE.UU. y Cuba retoman el complejo y aplazado diálogo sobre migración, Michael Shifter in La Vanguardia, July 18, 2013.
- EE.UU. y Cuba retoman el diálogo de migración sin abandonar viejas tensiones, Michael Shifter in Terra, July 17, 2013.
- EE.UU. y Cuba retoman diálogo de migración, Michael Shifter in Infolatam, July 17, 2013.
- Cuba se abstiene de ofrecer asilo a Snowden para evitar más roces con EEUU, Michael Shifter in El Nuevo Herald, July 10, 2013.
- Cuba supports LatAm allies but no asylum for Snowden, Michael Shifter in Jamaica Observer, July 10, 2013.
- US foe Cuba wary of Snowden entanglement, Michael Shifter in Global Post, July 9, 2013.
- Cuba se abstiene de ofrecer asilo a Snowden para evitar roces, Michael Shifter in El Heraldo, July 9, 2013.MORE IN THE PRESS
PARTNERS & SPONSORS