Since 2005, China has provided upwards of $87 billion in loan commitments to Latin America. China's loan commitments of $37 billion in 2010 were more than those of the World Bank, Inter-American Development Bank, and US Export-Import Bank combined. This interactive database provides up-to-date information on Chinese lending by country, lender, sector, and year.
PROGRAM BLOG HIGHLIGHTS
VIEW MORE BLOG ENTRIES
The Dialogue’s China and Latin America program engages and informs academics, policy makers, and private sector leaders from China, Latin America, and the United States on evolving themes in China-Latin America relations. We seek to determine areas of interest, identify shared priorities, and establish various means by which emerging relationships can be made productive for all countries involved.
Since 2004, and President Hu Jintao's historic visit to the region, China’s interactions in Latin America have expanded far beyond initial Taiwan-related diplomatic engagement. China’s political and trade-based ties with Latin America have flourished over the past decade, producing substantial economic benefits for China and its principal trade partners in Latin America. Over the past few years, however, China has moved beyond initial trade-based contact toward more complex diplomatic, cultural, and investment-related interactions. As a result, a number of new themes and questions are emerging.
Chinese and Latin American governments have yet to satisfactorily understand one another's interests or to fully determine the implications of increasingly complex Sino-Latin American relationships. Nor have Latin American countries taken full advantage of the range of opportunities emerging from enhanced relations with China. Our working group, program events, and publications aim to address perceived challenges by forging the basis for constructive, mutually beneficial relations between China, Latin America, and the United States over the long term.
Chinese language description
Michael Shifter, President
Margaret Myers, Program Director
Paul Shortell, Program Assistant
Ge Zhang, Intern
Zhou Jingjing, Intern
For more information, contact Margaret Myers at firstname.lastname@example.org or (202) 463-2575.
PUBLICATIONS | ARTICLES AND OP-EDS | IN THE PRESS | EVENTS | PARTNERS & SPONSORS
CHINA AND LATIN AMERICA WORKING GROUP | NEWS SUMMARIES | CONGRESSIONAL TESTIMONY
- China's Rising Investment Profile in the Caribbean, by Richard L. Bernal, China and Latin America Economics Brief, Inter-American Dialogue, October 2013.
- Asian and Latin American City Competitiveness, by Marco Kamiya, China and Latin America Economics Brief, Inter-American Dialogue, September 2013.
- Os Novos Bancos em Cena: Financiamentos chineses na América Latina, por Kevin Gallagher, Amos Irwin, e Katherine Koleski, Diálogo Interamericano, June 2013.
- Latin America’s Role in RMB Internationalization, by Jahangir Aziz, China and Latin America Economics Brief, Inter-American Dialogue, January 2013.
- Capitalizing on the China Cycle: Time is Running Out for Latin America, by Kevin P. Gallagher, China and Latin America Economics Brief, Inter-American Dialogue, December 2012.
- China's Free Trade Agreements in South America, by Carol Wise, China and Latin America Economics Brief, Inter-American Dialogue, November 2012.
- The United States, Latin America, and China: A "Triangular Relationship"?, by Evan Ellis, Inter-American Dialogue, April 2012.
- The New Banks in Town: Chinese Finance in Latin America (Full Text), by Kevin Gallagher, Amos Irwin, and Katherine Koleski, Inter-American Dialogue, February 2012.
- The New Banks in Town: Chinese Finance in Latin America (Abstract)
ARTICLES AND OP-EDS
IN THE PRESS
- China's Appetite for Risk in Venezuela, Margaret Myers in China and Latin America, Inter-American Dialogue blog, October 23, 2013.
- Chinese Investment in Brazil: An Overview of Shifting Trends, by Tania O'Conor, Inter-American Dialogue, September 2013.
- How Important Is Chinese Lending to Latin America?, by Margaret Myers, Sun Hongbo, Matt Ferchen, and Erik Bethel, Latin America Energy Advisor, August 8, 2013.
- China y EE.UU. en Latam: ¿quien gana?, by Peter Hakim, Infolatam, July 30, 2013.
- ¿Qué significará el 12º Plan Quinquenal de China para las relaciones sino-latinoamericanas?, by Margaret Myers and Yang Zhimin, Apuntes, April 2013.
- What Is Driving Peru's Relationship With China?, by Cynthia McClintock, Margaret Myers, and Carlos Mateo Paz-Soldan, Latin America Advisor, March 19, 2013.
- What Chavez Taught China, by Margaret Myers, The Fletcher Forum of World Affairs, January 18, 2013.
- How 'Strategically Important' Is Latin America for China?, by Erik Bethel, Margaret Myers, and Sun Hongbo, Latin America Advisor, January 18, 2013.
- Will There Be Any Surprises for Sino-Latin Energy Ties in 2013?, by R. Evan Ellis, Margaret Myers, and Jeremy Martin, Latin America Energy Advisor, November 30, 2012.
- Are Mexican Factories Gaining an Upper Hand Against China's?, by Andrés Rozental, Margaret Myers, James R. Jones, Felipe Canales, Latin America Advisor, September 18, 2012.
- What Is on the Horizon for Asia-Latin America Trade?, by Ann Lee, Mauricio Mesquita Moreira, Margaret Myers, Latin America Advisor, May 16, 2012.
- China's engagement with Latin America: More of the same?, by Margaret Myers, Conference: "Asia and Latin America: Setting the Agenda", April 10, 2012.
- Australia's Latin American Opportunity, by Alexis Arthur, The Interpreter, March 21, 2012.
- China’s Rise and Latin America: A Global, Long-Term Perspective, by Uri Dadush and Shimelse Ali, International Economic Bulletin, March 8, 2012.
- Taiwán, China y América Latina, by Margaret Myers Infolatam, January 12, 2012.
- No es Grecia, es China, by Moises Naim, El Pais,
October 1, 2011.
- How Big of an Economic Threat Does China Pose to Brazil?, by David Kupfer, Gary Hufbauer, Margaret Myers, and John Williamson, Latin America Advisor, September 21, 2011.
- Testing the China-Peru Relationship, by Margaret Myers, Miami Herald, August 14, 2011.
- How Is China Changing Latin America's Energy Sector?, by Margaret Myers, Kirk Sherr and Roger Tissot, Latin America Advisor, July 22, 2011.
- The Politics of Disaster Relief: China, Taiwan and the Haitian Earthquake, by Daniel Erikson, China Brief, February 4, 2010.
- China in the Caribbean: The New Big Brother, by Daniel Erikson, China Brief, December 16, 2009.
- China's Strategy toward Central America: The Costa Rican Nexus, by Daniel Erikson, China Brief, May 27, 2009.
- America Latina y sus nuevas amistades, by Moises Naim, El Pais, November 23, 2008.
- China's New Foray into Latin America, by David Shambaugh, member of the China and Latin America Working Group, Yale Global Online, November 2008.
MORE PROGRAM ARTICLES
- Inversiones chinas en Brasil han caído desde el 2010, the Dialogue in Infolatam, November 3, 2013.
- China Economy: The domino effect, Margaret Myers in Emerging Markets, October 9, 2013.
- Was Maduro's Recent Trip to China a Success?, Margaret Myers in Latin American Advisor
- Educación: la clave para América Latina, Margaret Myers in La Prensa, September 12, 2013.
- Improving the Flavour of the Chinese Menu in the Caribbean, Dialogue report in Huntington News, August 15, 2013.
- No ties? No problem as China courts Taiwan's remaining allies, Margaret Myers in Reuters, August 6, 2013.
- Despenca crédito da China para América Latina, Margaret Myers in Folha de S.Paulo, August 2, 2013.
- Report: China's Caribbean lending slows, Dialogue Report in The BVI Beacon, July 24, 2013.
- Can China finally make the Nicaragua canal dream happen?, Dialogue Resource in Alaska Dispatch, July 24, 2013.
- China convertida en banquero de Latinoamérica, Dialogue Resource in Voz de America, July 23, 2013.
- China-Latin America Finance Database, Dialogue Resource in Infolatam, July 23, 2013.
- Nicaragua Canal: bonanza or boondoggle?, Margaret Myers in Nicaragua Dispatch, July 10, 2013.
- No cesan las dudas sobre el Gran Canal, Margaret Myers in La Prensa, June 29, 2013.
- Nicaragua's Canal: Chinese Tycoon Wang Jing Wants to Build It, Margaret Myers in Bloomberg, June 27, 2013.
- Canal interoceánico nicaragüense ya tiene inversionistas, Margaret Myers in Portafolio, June 26, 2013.
- Chinese Billionaire Says Nicaragua Canal Has Investors, Margaret Myers in Bloomberg, June 25, 2013.
- 12 preguntas sin respuestas, Dialogue event in La Prensa, June 20, 2013.
- INSIGHT - Chinese whispers: Who wants to bet on the 'Nicaragua Canal'?, Margaret Myers in Reuters, June 20, 2013.
- El canal chino de Nicaragua, Margaret Myers in El Nuevo Diario, June 17, 2013.
- U.S. China Relations: Should Washington Be Concerned Over Growing Chinese Trade in Latin America?, Michael Shifter in PolicyMic, June 14, 2013.
- América Latina está en la mira de EE.UU. y China, Michael Shifter in Portafolio, June 14, 2013.
- Rivals drawn to Latin groove, Michael Shifter in South China Morning Post, June 14, 2013.
- Rivalry looms between China, United States in bid for a bite of LatAm, Michael Shifter in The China Post, June 14, 2013.
- Nicaragua’s Chinese Canal: Behind the Audacious $40 Billion Bid to Build a Rival Panama Canal, Margaret Myers in TIME, June 13, 2013.
- Nicaragua waterway to dwarf Panama canal, Margaret Myers in The Guardian, June 12, 2013.
- The looming U.S.-China rivalry over Latin America, Michael Shifter in Reuters, June 12, 2013.
- Wang creó en tres semanas empresa del Gran Canal, Margaret Myers in Confidencial, June 12, 2013.
- ¿Qué implicaciones tendrá la alianza de México y China?, Interview with Michael Shifter in Club de Prensa NTN24, June 5, 2013.
- China on a charm offensive, Dialogue report in Los Angeles Times, June 5, 3013.
- China’s moves in Western Hemisphere have U.S. stepping up its game, Michael Shifter in Kansas City Star, May 31, 2013.
- Xi aims to tread softly in Latin American visit, Dialogue report in South China Morning Post, May 31, 2013.
- China-Latin America Trade: Balancing out, Margaret Myers in Latin Business Chronicle, May 21, 2013.
- China plays be its own rules while going global, Margaret Myers in Huffington Post, February 16, 2013.
- Chavez Cancer Freezes Venezuela’s Overseas Oil Funding: Energy, Margaret Myers in Bloomberg, January 25, 2013.
- Weineiruila bingren chaweisi (Venezuela's Patient, Chavez), Michael Shifter in China's Southern Metropolis Daily, January 18, 2013.
- India’s interest in Latin America and the Caribbean, Margaret Myers in StabroekNews.com, January 13, 2013.
- A World of Challenges Awaits the President, Michael Shifter in the Wall Street Journal (Chinese edition), November 7, 2012.
- More Than Mining, Margaret Myers in China Offshore, Spring 2012.
- OEA - Obama deberá encarar a una América Latina desilusionada por no haber relanzado las relaciones con la región, Margaret Myers in Europress, April 10, 2012.
- China ties may be curse in disguise, South China Morning Post, September 26, 2011.
- China Breaks Latin America's 'Hundred Years of Growth Solitude', IPS, September 20, 2011.
- China may not be long-term engine of Latin American growth, IPS, August 19, 2011.
- China makes its move as U.S. falls back in Latin America, McClatchy Newspapers, July 8, 2009.
- Flu spat cools budding Mexico-China relationship, Reuters, May 5, 2009.
- Clinton sees China, Iran inroads in Latin America, Los Angeles Times, May 2, 2009.
CHINA AND LATIN AMERICA WORKING GROUP
The Dialogue has assembled a Working Group of experts from the United States, Latin America, China and Australia to examine areas of critical interest in the China-Latin America relationship. The Working Group’s inaugural meeting took place on September 15, 2011 in Washington, DC.
- Latin American Perceptions of China,
July 23, 2013.
- China Foreign Ministry Visit, July 11, 2013.
- Nicaragua's Canal: What Should We Expect?,
June 19, 2013.
- CIVETS: ¿Qué son? y ¿Cómo influyen en la nueva cara de Colombia al mundo?, June 6, 2013.
- Demystifying Russia-Latin America Relations,
May 30, 2013.
- China, Latin America, and the Changing Architecture of Trans-Pacific Engagement,
May 29, 2013.
- Perspectives on the Future of China-Venezuela Relations, March 22, 2013.
- The Political Economy of China-Latin American Relations, co-sponsored by USC, October 26, 2012.
- Chinese Trade and Investment in Latin America: Perspectives from Colombia and Ecuador, September 21, 2012.
- China's Leadership Transition: Implications for Latin America, September 18, 2012.
- La estrategia de China en América Latina: ¿Qué busca en Colombia?, June 27, 2012.
- Demystifying the Chinese Economy, March 7, 2012.
- Chinese Loans to Latin America: A Better Deal?, February 17, 2012.
- Beyond the China Boom: Latin America's Long-Term Growth Prospects, November 22, 2011.
- Reassessing China-Mexico Competition,
September 16, 2011.
- Assessing Dilma Rousseff's Approach to Chinese Competition, August 29, 2011.
- China and Latin America: Discussion and Book Launch, July 19, 2009.
- China and Latin America: Political and Economic Outlooks, February 19, 2009.
- China and Latin America: What Next?, November 3, 2008.
MORE PROGRAM EVENTS
PARTNERS & SPONSORS