On October 21, 2011, the Inter-American Dialogue hosted a discussion with leading primary candidate for Mexico's National Action Party (PAN) Josefina Vázquez Mota, who presented her agenda on issues such as education reform, justice and security, and, the economy. She also highlighted crucial ties between Mexico and the United States and emphasized the importance of strengthening relations. Click here to read the event summary or see video of the event.
The Dialogue's work on Mexico seeks to build a deeper understanding of the country's most pressing issues and its evolving role in the hemisphere. Central issues include economic development, the threat of organized crime and insecurity, migration, remittances, trade relations, energy, and democratic stability. The Dialogue recognizes Mexico's unique relationship with the United States and particularly emphasizes projects that will promote sustained and balanced cooperation between the two countries.
Michael Shifter, President
Peter Hakim, President Emeritus
Manuel Orozco, Senior Associate
Kim Covington, Program Associate
Rachel Schwartz, Program Associate
For more information please contact Kim Covington at email@example.com or (202) 463-2938.
ARTICLES & OP-EDS | PUBLICATIONS | IN THE PRESS | EVENTS | INTERVIEWS
ARTICLES & OP-EDS
- Which Mexico for Obama? By Peter Hakim. Reuters, May 1, 2013
- El gran paso con la reforma en EE.UU.,By Michael Shifter. El Colombiano, February 5, 2013.
- Shifting Fortunes: Brazil & Mexico in a Transformed Region, Michael Shifter & Cameron Combs in Current History, February 2013.
- Have Prospects for U.S.-Mexican Relations Improved? By Peter Hakim, Andrés Rozental, and Laura Carlsen, Latin America Advisor, February 1, 2013.
- Time for Obama to put LatAm back on the agenda, By Peter Hakim and Sergio Munoz Bata, FT beyondbrics, January 24, 2013.
- Which Issues Will Define the Brazil-Mexico Agenda?, By Peter Hakim, Rubens Barbosa, Ruben Olmos, Joel Korn, Latin America Advisor, January 8, 2013.
- Won't You Be My Neighbor? by Peter Hakim, Foreign Policy, November 26, 2012.
- A Campaign About Nothing, by Michael Shifter, Foreign Policy, June 28, 2012.
- Mexico: Have Far Have Institutions Come?, by Claudio Loser, Latin America Advisor, April 6, 2011.
- La verdadera historia de Cancún, by Peter Hakim, América Economía, April 16, 2010 (English).
- Twelve Myths in the Fight Against Drug-trafficking, by Joaquín Villalobos, Nexos, January 1, 2010.
- How Much Danger Does Mexico Face in This Turbulent Time?, by Claudio Loser, Latin America Advisor, June 1, 2009.
- Mexico: A safe vessel or a risky wreck in turbulent waters?, by Claudio Loser, Emerging Markets Forum, May 13, 2009.
- El narco en la agenda bilateral, by Peter Hakim, El Universal, March 28, 2009. (English)
- Más que caminos trillados, by Marifeli Pérez-Stable, Encuentro en la Red, March 11, 2009.
MORE PROGRAM ARTICLES & OP-EDS
IN THE PRESS
- In Latin America, U.S. Focus Shifts From Drug War to Economy, Michael Shifter in The New York Times, May 4, 2013.
- As Obama visits Mexico, the slippery topic of oil comes up, Michael Shifter in Marketplace, May 2, 2013.
- Drugs Provide No High at Mexico Summit, Michael Shifter in PBS Newshour, May 2, 2013.
- EE.UU. y México, en busca de un balance en la relación, Michael Shifter in BBC Mundo, May 2, 2013.
- No tengo prejuicios por ajuste de Peña: Obama, Peter Hakim in El Universal, May 1, 2013.
- In Mexico Visit, Obama to Pivot From Security to Economy, Michael Shifter in The Wall Street Journal, April 30, 2013.
- México y Costa Rica, destinos de segunda gira latinoamericana de Obama, Dialogue event in El País, April 30, 2013.
- Latin leaders hit Obama trip as 'social event', Dialogue event in The Washington Examiner, April 29, 2013.
- Immigrants Pay Lower Fees to Send Money Home, Helping to Ease Poverty, Manuel in The New York Times, April 27, 2013.
- Landmark U.S. Immigration Framework Heavy on Border Security, Manuel Orozco in IPS, January 28, 2013.
- La reunión entre Obama y Peña Nieto, tan tradicional como significativa, Michael Shifter in Diario de Yucatán, November 27, 2012.
- Obama y Peña Nieto repasarán en primera reunión retos de seguridad y economía, Michael Shifter in Terra, November 26, 2012.
- Obama seeks comprehensive immigration reform in early 2013, Dialogue event in Reuters, November 14, 2012.
- With 60,000 dead, Mexicans wonder why drug war doesn't rate in presidential debate, Michael Shifter in The Christian Science Monitor, October 24, 2012.
- ¿Qué espera Washington de Peña Nieto?, Michael Shifter in Terra, July 3, 2012.
- As Mexico goes to the polls, voters express disappointment with ruling party, Michael Shifter in The Washington Post, July 1, 2012.
- Retorno del PRI al poder en México no causaría turbulencias en lazo con EEUU, Michael Shifter in Univisión Noticias, June 23, 2012.
- Mexico looks at rival Brazil and rues its fate, Michael Shifter in McClatchy Newspapers, May 8, 2012.
- Biden visits Mexico, Honduras amid calls to debate drug strategy, Michael Shifter in Bloomberg, March 5, 2012.
- Mexican leader's challenge: Staying safe once out of office, Michael Shifter in Miami Herald, January 24, 2012.
- Mexico 2012 vote vulnerable to narco threat, Michael Shifter in The Washington Post, January 15, 2012.
- Ante masacre de Tamaulipas es urgente afinar lucha antidrogas, dicen expertos, Michael Shifter in Terra, August 27, 2010.
- Designación presidencial, señal de continuidad: analistas de EU, Peter Hakim in El Universal, December 10, 2009.
- Amnesty accuses Mexican military of torture, Peter Hakin in CNN, December 9, 2009.
- Mexico recession shows downside of close U.S. links, Peter Hakim in Reuters, August 4, 2009.
- Barack Obama esbozó en 100 días un acercamiento de EEUU con América Latina, Michael Shfiter in Associated Free Press, April 26, 2009.
MORE PROGRAM PUBLICATIONS
- Press briefing: President Obama's Visit to Mexico and Central America, April 29, 2013.
- Launch: A More Ambitious Agenda, A Report of the Inter-American Dialogue’s Commission on Mexico-US Relations, February 6, 2013.
- Mexico-US Relations and Hemispheric Challenges: A Conversation with Ambassador Arturo Sarukhan, November 15, 2012.
- Mexico's Next Sexenio: What Lies Ahead, July 26, 2012.
- The Future of US-Mexico Cooperation, July 25, 2012.
- A New Vision for Mexico 2042: Achieving Prosperity for All, April 3, 2012.
- Mexico's Foreign Policy: The Issues and Choices Ahead, December 7, 2011.
- A Conversation with Josefina Vázquez Mota, October 21, 2011.
- The Mexican Diaspora Investment Partnership, October 14, 2011
- A Congressional Discussion on Violence, Crime, and Citizen Security in Central America and Mexico, July 13, 2011.
- Mexico's Economic Recession and the Prospects for Recovery, August 18, 2009.
- Managing the U.S.-Mexico Relationship, June 23, 2009.
- Discussion on Mexican Politics and U.S.-Mexico Relations. June 10, 2009.
MORE PROGRAM EVENTS
- Peter Hakim Discusses President Obama's Trip to Mexico, Interview with Peter Hakim in CCTV, May 5, 2013.
- ¿Cambiará la agenda binacional con la visita de Obama a México?, Interview with Michael Shifter on NTN24, April 30, 2013.
- Análisis de la visita de Barack Obama a México y CA, Interview with Michael Shifter, Esta Noche, May 2, 2013.
- Visita de Obama a Centroamérica, Interview with Michael Shifter in CNN en español, March 29, 2013.
- How U.S.-Mexico Relations May Shift Under President-Elect Enrique Pena Nieto, Michael Shifter in PBS Newshour, November 28, 2012.
- "Elecciones en EEUU: no vienen cambios para AL," interview with Michael Shifter, Confidencial, November 1, 2012.
- Es muy difícil hablar ahora de la década de América Latina, Interview with Michael Shifter, Portafolio, October 1, 2012.
- Kidnappings and disappearances in Mexico, Interview with Michael Shifter, CCTV English, September 23, 2012.
- Análisis de la victoria de Enrique Peña Nieto en las elecciones presidenciales de México, Interview with Michael Shifter, NTN 24, July 4, 2012.
- U.S. Investigates Purchase of Petroleum Products from Mexico, Interview with Matthew Schewel, Clean Skies TV, August 12, 2009.
MORE PROGRAM INTERVIEWS