ABOUT | ARTICLES, OP-EDS & PUBLICATIONS | IN THE PRESS | INTERVIEWS | EVENTS
ANDEAN WORKING PAPERS | PARTNERS & SPONSORS | CONGRESSIONAL TESTIMONY
The Dialogue's program on Brazil and the Southern Cone examines the most pressing challenges and opportunities facing Brazil, Argentina, Paraguay, Uruguay, and Chile. Issues include democratic governance, energy, trade capacity building, the environment, and international relations. The program regularly hosts meetings and events that draw important political analysts, politicians, NGO and labor leaders, and economists.
The Latin America Working Group of the Dialogue met in Brazil on December 2011, convening the region’s leading analysts and practitioners to discuss Latin America’s democratic, economic, social, and political development as well as the role of regional institutions and the influence of hemispheric actors, such as Brazil.
Michael Shifter, President
Peter Hakim, President Emeritus
Cameron Combs, Program Assistant
Paul Shortell, Program Assistant
For more information, please contact Paul Shortell at email@example.com
or (202) 463-2933 or Cameron Combs at firstname.lastname@example.org
or (202) 463-2574.
- Latin America and the United States: Looking Towards 2020, by Sergio Bitar, September 7, 2011.
- Un futuro común: Chile, Bolivia, Perú, by Sergio Bitar, October 9, 2011.
- Obama's Visit to Latin America: A View from the South, by Sergio Bitar, February 25, 2011 (Spanish).
- La apuesta de invertir para una mejor educación: Evaluando la Ley de Financiamiento Educativo en la Argentina, 2006-2010, by PREAL and CIPPEC, August 31, 2010.
- Overcoming Inertia?: A Report Card on Education in Brazil, 2009, by PREAL and Fundação Lemann, August 5, 2011 (Portuguese).
MORE PROGRAM PUBLICATIONS
- The Implications of Argentina's Upcoming Elections, October 21, 2013.
- U.S.-Brazilian Relations After the Cancellation, September 20, 2013.
- The Next Chapter of Drug Policy Innovation in Latin America: A Conversation with Julio Calzada, Secretary of Uruguay’s National Drugs Board, May 23, 2013.
- Deepening the Relationship: Prospects for US-Brazil Commercial and Bilateral Ties, January 15, 2013.
- Science, Technology, and Innovation Policies in Brazil, December 18, 2012.
- What will it take for Brazil to regain its economic vigor?, September 25, 2012.
- A Conversation with President Fernando Henrique Cardoso on Drug Policy in the Americas, July 9, 2012.
- The Implications of Lugo’s Ouster for Paraguay, July 6, 2012.
- A Press Roundtable on President Dilma Rousseff’s Visit to Washington, April 5, 2012.
- A Conversation with Andrés Allamand, Defense Minister of Chile, March 6, 2012.
- Measuring Discrimination: Race and Data in Brazil, October 21, 2011.
- Rising Brazil: Domestic and International Trends, September 22, 2011.
MORE PROGRAM EVENTS
ARTICLES & OP-EDS
- U.S.-Brazil Relations at an Impasse, Peter Hakim in Revista Brasileira de Comercio Exterior, December 2, 2013. (Portuguese)
- The State Visit That Wasn't, Peter Hakim in Latinvex, October 23, 2013.
- A visita de Estado que não houve, by Peter Hakim in Estadão, October 14, 2013. (English)
- This Controversial Brazilian Program Has Doctors Enraged, By Cameron Combs, Policymic, September 20, 2013.
- Remembering Chile's Coup, Peter Hakim in Latin Pulse, September 12, 2013.
- Uruguay's Marijuana Experiment, By Peter Hakim and Cameron Combs, Los Angeles Times, August 21, 2013.
- Why Latin America (Hearts) Snowden, Peter Hakim in Reuters, July 17, 2013. (Español)
- Como os protestos mudarão o Brazil?
Peter Hakim in InfoLatam, July 15, 2013.
- Brasil y EE UU están de acuerdo en el desacuerdo, Peter Hakim in Política Exterior, February 2013.
- Shifting Fortunes: Brazil & Mexico in a Transformed Region, Michael Shifter & Cameron Combs in Current History, February 2013.
MORE PROGRAM ARTICLES & OP-EDS
- Protests in Brazil: Is There a Real Shift on the Way?, Peter Hakim at The University Club, July 11, 2013.
- Elecciones en EEUU: No vienen cambios para AL, Michael Shifter in Confidencial, November 1, 2012.
- Es muy difícil hablar ahora de la década de América Latina, Michael Shifter in Portafolio, October 1, 2012.
- Venezuela in Mercosur: What was Brazil Thinking?, Peter Hakim in Latin Pulse, September 21, 2012.
- Fallout from Paraguay's Presidential Change, Peter Hakim in Latin Pulse (min. 25:00), July 13, 2012.
- Paraguay: Impeachment or political coup?, Interview with Michael Shifter, Al Jazeera's Inside Story, June 25, 2012.
- "Es un retroceso para la democracia en Paraguay," Interview with Michael Shifter, El Comercio, June 23, 2012.
- Paradigm Lost? The Bolivarian Movement and South America's Left, Interview with Michael Shifter, ISN, May 2, 2012.
MORE PROGRAM INTERVIEWS
- Estudio afirma que plan petrolero de Venezuela y Argentina hunde la producción, the Dialogue in América economía, November 7, 2013.
- Who Doesn't Spy?, Michael Shifter in America's Quarterly, November 6, 2013.
- Does Brasília Matter? A Close Look at Rhetoric and Reality in Washington, Miachael Shifter in Brazzil, November 4, 2013.
- Inversiones chinas en Brasil han caído desde el 2010, the Dialogue in Infolatam, November 3, 2013.
- Argentina consegue vitória e vai limitar grupo de comunicação, Peter Hakim in Jornal da Globo, October 30, 2013.
- Argentine Court Clears Media Breakup, Michael Shifter in The Wall Street Journal, October 29, 2013.
- Apuesta de Ecopetrol en mar profundo de Brasil, the Dialogue's Latin America Energy Advisor in Portafolio, October 20, 2013.
- Pomp of state dinners faded even before cancellation, the Dialogue in The Bulletin, October 9, 2010.
- Cristina Fernandez undergoes surgery to remove clot; doctors consider operation ‘low-risk’, Michael Shifter in Merco Press, October 8, 2013.
MORE IN THE PRESS
MORE PROGRAM CONGRESSIONAL TESTIMONIES