ABOUT | ARTICLES, OP-EDS & PUBLICATIONS | IN THE PRESS | INTERVIEWS | EVENTS
ANDEAN WORKING PAPERS | PARTNERS & SPONSORS | CONGRESSIONAL TESTIMONY
The Dialogue's program on Brazil and the Southern Cone examines the most pressing challenges and opportunities facing Brazil, Argentina, Paraguay, Uruguay, and Chile. Issues include democratic governance, energy, trade capacity building, the environment, and international relations. The program regularly hosts meetings and events that draw important political analysts, politicians, NGO and labor leaders, and economists.
The Latin America Working Group of the Dialogue met in Brazil on December 2011, convening the region’s leading analysts and practitioners to discuss Latin America’s democratic, economic, social, and political development as well as the role of regional institutions and the influence of hemispheric actors, such as Brazil.
Michael Shifter, President
Peter Hakim, President Emeritus
Kim Covington, Program Associate
Cameron Combs, Program Assistant
For more information, please contact Kim Covington at email@example.com
or (202) 463-2938 or Cameron Combs at firstname.lastname@example.org
or (202) 463-2574.
- Latin America and the United States: Looking Towards 2020, by Sergio Bitar, September 7, 2011.
- Un futuro común: Chile, Bolivia, Perú, by Sergio Bitar, October 9, 2011.
- Obama's Visit to Latin America: A View from the South, by Sergio Bitar, February 25, 2011 (Spanish).
- La apuesta de invertir para una mejor educación: Evaluando la Ley de Financiamiento Educativo en la Argentina, 2006-2010, by PREAL and CIPPEC, August 31, 2010.
- Overcoming Inertia?: A Report Card on Education in Brazil, 2009, by PREAL and Fundação Lemann, August 5, 2011 (Portuguese).
MORE PROGRAM PUBLICATIONS
- The Next Chapter of Drug Policy Innovation in Latin America: A Conversation with Julio Calzada, Secretary of Uruguay’s National Drugs Board, May 23, 2013.
- Deepening the Relationship: Prospects for US-Brazil Commercial and Bilateral Ties, January 15, 2013.
- Science, Technology, and Innovation Policies in Brazil, December 18, 2012.
- What will it take for Brazil to regain its economic vigor?, September 25, 2012.
- A Conversation with President Fernando Henrique Cardoso on Drug Policy in the Americas, July 9, 2012.
- The Implications of Lugo’s Ouster for Paraguay, July 6, 2012.
- A Press Roundtable on President Dilma Rousseff’s Visit to Washington, April 5, 2012.
- A Conversation with Andrés Allamand, Defense Minister of Chile, March 6, 2012.
- Measuring Discrimination: Race and Data in Brazil, October 21, 2011.
- Rising Brazil: Domestic and International Trends, September 22, 2011.
MORE PROGRAM EVENTS
ARTICLES & OP-EDS
- Brasil y EE UU están de acuerdo en el desacuerdo, Peter Hakim in Política Exterior, February 2013.
- Shifting Fortunes: Brazil & Mexico in a Transformed Region, Michael Shifter & Cameron Combs in Current History, February 2013.
- Which Issues Will Define the Brazil-Mexico Agenda?, By Peter Hakim, Rubens Barbosa, Ruben Olmos, Joel Korn, Latin America Advisor, January 8, 2013.
MORE PROGRAM ARTICLES & OP-EDS
- Elecciones en EEUU: No vienen cambios para AL, Michael Shifter in Confidencial, November 1, 2012.
- Es muy difícil hablar ahora de la década de América Latina, Michael Shifter in Portafolio, October 1, 2012.
- Venezuela in Mercosur: What was Brazil Thinking?, Peter Hakim in Latin Pulse, September 21, 2012.
- Fallout from Paraguay's Presidential Change, Peter Hakim in Latin Pulse (min. 25:00), July 13, 2012.
- Paraguay: Impeachment or political coup?, Interview with Michael Shifter, Al Jazeera's Inside Story, June 25, 2012.
- "Es un retroceso para la democracia en Paraguay," Interview with Michael Shifter, El Comercio, June 23, 2012.
- Paradigm Lost? The Bolivarian Movement and South America's Left, Interview with Michael Shifter, ISN, May 2, 2012.
MORE PROGRAM INTERVIEWS
- US-Argentina rapprochement still far off, Michael Shifter in Gulf Times, June 16, 2013.
- Argentina or Venezuela - Who has a better chance for a reset with Washington?, Michael Shifter in Clarín, June 13, 2013.
- EE.UU. más cerca de Venezuela, pero todavía distante de Argentina, Michael Shifter in Clarín, June 9, 2013.
- Biden meets Rousseff, underlines the importance of a broader relationship with Brazil, Michael Shifter in MercoPress, June 1, 2013.
- Em outubro, Dilma deve ser recebida com tapete vermelho nos EUA, Michael Shifter in R7, June 1, 2013.
- Biden invites Brazil's leader to pay a high-profile visit, Peter Hakim in Los Angeles Times, May 31, 2013.
- US VP Biden Lauds Brazil for Its Economic Gains, Michael Shifter in ABC News, May 29, 2013.
- Biden says U.S. and Brazil ready for deeper relationship, Michael Shifter in Reuters, May 31, 2013.
- Visita de Dilma marca mudança diplomática, Michael Shifter in Estadao, May 31, 2013.
- Biden Praises Economic Gains During Trip To Brazil, Michael Shifter in Fox News Latino, May 30, 2013.
- Biden praises Brazil for economic gain, says it’s envied for rising out of developing world, Michael Shifter in Washington Post, May 29, 2013.
MORE IN THE PRESS
MORE PROGRAM CONGRESSIONAL TESTIMONIES